Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Go Vote


It's mid-term election day and I'm proud to say that I voted! This year, fewer than 40% of voting age Americans will actually vote. I find that a little sad.

Voting is actually quite easy not to mention free! Today I can even add fast to that list, I was in and out in under ten minutes. But the sad thing is that so many people are fed up with politics, and specifically politicians, and so they think that by not voting they are teaching the politicians a lesson. The fact is the very politicians you are trying to send a message to are the ones who don't want you to vote. If they can turn you off enough not to vote, then mission accomplished, one less vote for the other guy or gal.

The simple truth is that everyone should vote. Even if you're disgusted, go vote. Vote for your least unfavorite choice (I did). But go vote.

Lesson of the Day: Mason's elementary school is a block from our house and was my polling place. School was out for staff development and so I brought Mason and Emma along. Afterwards I was thinking how nice it was for them to see people in our community getting out there to vote. My hope for them is that when they are of voting age, the nasty political ads and telemarketers won't turn them off and they too will exercise their right to vote.

"The future of this republic is in the hands of the American voter." Dwight D. Eisenhower